Proper hygiene is of the most vital factors for proper health management of catfish hatchery operations. When done well, this will help to guaranty healthy sexual gametes of the fish which in turn will help our operation to be successful and profitable.
To ensure this, the following must be put in place:
1. Every unit of the operation must have – nettings, brushes, buckets, rubber tubes, etc.
2. The above tools should be maintained in a small container filled with disinfectant solution such as Benzyl Konium Chloride-BKC- 1% or Formaldehyde – 0.1% or Iodine solution 1-2%. (Common table salt can also be used as a disinfectant ( about 100g to 10litres of water) )
3. The hatchery floor should be disinfected once a week or at least before every new cycle.
4. The hatchery operator should also use the solution to disinfect his hands before and after each cleaning operation.
5. Adequate and right quality of food should be given to the brood fish. The feed should contain adequate vitamins, minerals and amino-acids.
6. Feeding at 1% of the body weight of brood fish of 500g ad above.
7. The feed should be given in three or four portions per day during the day time near the water inlet.
Supplementary feeding with under-sized tilapia is highly recommended. Feeding should be discontinued when brood fish exhibit reluctance or less interest for the feed. This type of feeding allows us to gauge the appetite of the fish and at the same time help in monitoring the condition of the brood fish.
In addition to proper hygiene, prophylactic treatments (bathing) to prevent disease outbreak should be applied regularly. Antibiotics such as Neomycin, Oxytetracyline, Streptomycin, Chloramphenicol, etc should not be used for prophylactic purposes; they should only be used for therapeutic treatment under the supervision of an expert.
The use of boiled and cooled water for incubation of eggs can help avoid contamination by pathogens. Suitable filters with UV and Ozone processing can help in preventing the infection.
The Author, Edema Ejogbamu is a Catfish Breeder, an Author, Internet Marketer, with keen interest in solar energy and computer repairs. He is also a preacher of the gospel of Jesus Christ.